There’s no doubt that the Pit Boss Pellet Grill is a great BBQ unit for backyard grilling, smoking, braising, and full-fledged cooking, but despite its advanced features it’s not free from flaws. Today we are talking about Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum Series problems and how these problems can be overcome.
The Pit Boss Lockhart platinum series not only provides great wood flavor to your food, but it also has ample room to smoke a whole brisket.
However, you will occasionally run into some Pit Boss Lockhart mechanical issues that need fixing. That’s why we’ve put together a list of Pit Boss Lockhart platinum series issues and troubleshooting guides right here.
- Why do errors codes show
- Why screen flashing
- Flashing dots, and the screen blank
- Smoking signals
- Temperature fluctuations
- Too high temperatures and Smoke
Let’s understand the meaning of all one by one and know how to troubleshoot Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum series problems.
Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum Series Problems & Solutions
Technology always brings convenience but sometimes there are problems with them. Lack of knowledge makes the situation worse, so this article is here for you to solve Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum problems. Here you will definitely find your problem and its solution.
Pit Boss Temperature Fluctuations Problem
Anytime we see temperature fluctuations in your pellet grill, it is a sign of trouble and the biggest culprits can be poor weather conditions (Hot or Cold weather), insufficient airflow, low-quality pellets, dirty temperature probes, or moisture in the pellet hopper.
Which type of wood pellet do you need?
The second biggest reason for the temperature not being stable in the pellet grill is not cleaning it on time. Pellet grill or gas grill which one is best?
- The most common reason for temperature fluctuations is the cleaning of pellet grills. Make sure that your pellet grill is always cleaned on time.
- Check for wood pellets and replace damp pellets immediately.
- Check that the temperature probe is not touching the grill wall and if there is a layer of dust or smoke on it, clean and refit the RTD thermometer.
- Keep pellet grills out of direct sunlight during a grilling or smoking session, and grilling requires proper protection if it’s windy or raining outside.
- If you live in a cold region, make sure you have a cover with extra insulation over your pellet grill when grilling.
Whenever you burn wood there is a fluctuation in temperature. Keep a close eye on the thermometer while this happens, as the temperature stabilizes within a few minutes.
Read on for in-depth information on how to fix Pit Boss temperature fluctuation.
Flashing Temperature Issues
What does it mean when the temperature number flashes on the control panel board of a Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum Pellet Grill?
If this happens in Pit Boss Lockhart smoke mode it means the temperature has dropped below 110 degrees Fahrenheit and in “Cook Mode” it means the temperature is below 150 degrees.
Luckily for you, this isn’t a serious problem with a brand like Pit Boss Pellet Grills. In fact, this mistake especially benefits you. There can be many reasons for this. By adopting some simple measures, you can easily overcome this problem.
- First, you need to check the pellet hopper and refill the pellet supply if necessary.
- If any ash builds up on the fire pot or grate, remove it.
- You have to make sure that the fan and auger motor are working properly. If the speed of either of the two is slow then the fire will not get the required fuel.
- If there is any dirt on the fan or auger then clean it and it is necessary to observe the correct speed of both. If one is in bad condition, replace a bad fan immediately.
Read if you want to smoke turkey in your Pit Boss.
Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum Won’t Start
When the control panel LCD screen of a Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum pellet grill is not lighting up at all, there are several main possibilities.
This could be because the Pit Boss Lockhart platinum Pit Boss Natural Gas Conversion Kit to the power source yet or plugged in but forgot to do the second step to switch on or the temperature control dial is still off, this has happened to me several times.
If the screen remains blank when the grill is connected to a power source and switched on, it may indicate a tripped circuit board fuse.
A blank screen on the Pit Boss also means that the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlet is tripped. GFCI outlets are designed to protect you from electric shock.
If you are interested in a pizza oven read Does pit boss make a Pizza oven?
- Make sure you are plugged into a properly working outlet.
- After that, you need to check that the temperature control board of your pellet grill is on. If not, then switch it on. Is really need water pan in Pellet grill
- The Circuit board fuse is working properly it needs to be checked, if the fuse is bad then it needs to be replaced.
- If the GFCI outlet is tripped, you should check all pellet grill wire connections to make sure they are completely secure and dry. Also, make sure the GFCI for the Pit Boss pellet grill is a minimum of 10 amps of power.
- If everything is fine then it means that your control board is faulty and needs to be replaced.
This is important, check your extension cord. You should avoid using cords longer than 20 feet. If it is too long, the bbq grill unit will not get enough voltage. It is recommended to use a wire up to 5 meters long instead of a long wire.
If you are looking for the Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker here are some best ideas.
Grill Not Heating To Set Temperature
Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum temperature problems usually arise when the fire pot is not getting enough oxygen to achieve or maintain the desired temperature.
If the fire pot has holes or is severely rusted or clogged. You should also make sure that the fan is in good working order. The second most common reason is that wood pellets can cause this problem
- Inspect the inside of the pellet hopper and add pellets if necessary. Check carefully that there is no moisture in the pellets, if yes then replace the wood pellets.
- If the hopper is empty and the bottom feels damp, wipe it thoroughly with a clean cloth and refill it with dry wood pellets.
- You will need to inspect the fan motor and all related components. If everything is still there after cleaning then it is not good work so the fan and motor need to be replaced.
It is extremely important that you make sure the P setting is set to the level you want. “P” stands for “Pause,” so as you adjust the setting, you are controlling the amount of pause feeding cycle time.
Know that when you increase the P setting, you are reducing the supply of pellets, which will result in more smoke and a lower temperature. Conversely, lowering the setting will give you less smoke and a higher temperature.
If you plan for an outdoor grilling party with your family or friends you need a Pit Boss portable Griddle, read the reviews
Pit Boss Pellet Not Burning
There are wood pellets in the hopper and fire pot of the Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum grill but the fire is not burning. There are three possible reasons for this auger not being primed, auger jammed or a broken igniter.
- The Pellet hopper can be emptied for the first time or at any time. The auger must be primed to allow pellets to fill the auger tube. If not primed, the igniter will time out and stop before the pellets reach the fire pot.
- Turn off the pellet grill by pressing and holding the power button. Remove the cooking components from the pit boss. Turn on your pellet grill and temperature control dial. Please inspect the auger feed system.
- Check the auger is dropping pellets into the fire pot. If not working properly then the auger system needs to be replaced.
- Remove all components from the pellet grill and turn the unit on, and its temperature control dial to smoke mode, and inspect the igniter.
- To make sure the igniter is working properly, hold your hand over the pot of fire and if you feel the heat then the igniter is working. If the igniter isn’t working properly, it’s time to replace it.
Pit Boss Grill Produces White Smoke
Whilst the Pit Boss Blackheart Platinum emits a large amount of safe smoke, this means the food will not taste like smoke. Some of the main reasons for this are grease build-up, quality of wood pellets, blocked fire pot, and insufficient air intake for the fan.
- Pellet grills are not cleaned properly, the main reason for grease build-up and clogging of the fire pot. Clean the fire pot and fire point, if there is clogging remove it gently.
- Please check that you are using high-quality wood pellets. Also, make sure that the wood pellet you load into the hopper is free of moisture. It is better to replace yours with dry wood pellets.
- Check out pellet grill fans. Make sure it is working properly and that the air intake is not blocked. If the pellet grill fan is not working properly after cleaning, replace it.
Pit Boss Flare-Ups
The question is if your Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum has flare Ups problems. This often happens for two reasons. One pellet grill’s temperature is too high and another grill’s cooking compartment has accumulated an excessive amount of grease.
- First check the set temperature, if it is excessive then switch off the unit immediately and check the cooking compartment if there is grease then clean it. It is best to try to cook at a lower temperature.
- Grease has the power to catch fire so before grilling session check the cooking compartment thoroughly and clean it if necessary. When cooking very greasy foods, the recommended cooking temperature is 250°F.
People often get annoyed when flashing dots appear on the Pit Boss Likkharat Platinum Series Pellet Grill LCD screen of the control panel. But what it really means is that the grill igniter is on.
That’s not a problem with the Pit Boss Pellet Grill, that’s a good sign. It simply indicates that your Pit Boss pellet grill is operating properly.
Pit Boss Error Codes
As with nearly all Pit Boss pellet grill models, error codes occasionally appear on the screen, but why and what do these error codes mean, what do they mean?
These error codes can help you figure out exactly what the problem is. See the Pit Boss error codes list below, then read detailed information about and troubleshoot them.
- Pit Boss ErH Codes
- Pit Boss ErL Codes
- Pit Boss ErR Codes
- Pit Boss Grill ErP Codes
- Pit Boss Pellet Grill noP
Pit Boss Shows ErH Error Codes
When the ErH error code appears on a pellet grill, it simply means that the grill is overheating or that there is a problem with the temperature control. When this happens there are three main reasons either the accumulated grease, excess fuel or there is a problem with the temperature probe.
Excess grease and fuel can cause overheating. Sometimes this is also seen due to a bad temperature probe.
Caution; If the temperature of your pellet grill overheats, turn the unit off immediately and do not operate until the grill has completely cooled.
- Again, as a reminder, wait until the unit has cooled down before starting the test. If there are a lot of pellets in the fire pot, clean it and see if there is a build-up of grease, remove it immediately.
- While monitoring you may find the cause of the overheating problem. Now check that the pellet grill is resolved, then turn the dial and open the pellet grill lid to clear the error message.
- Before setting it to the desired temperature, the grill should be given some time to acclimatize and then set.
- If your pellet grill is still showing the error code, check for the result of an improper connection between the temperature probe and the control system.
- Because the temperature was extreme, if the meat probe didn’t have a problem before, it might now. Make sure the meat probe wire does not damage and is securely connected to the control panel.
ErL Error Codes Means
If you see the ERL error code on your pellet grill, it means that the temperature is too low, causing the pellet grill to shut down. This can result from bad pellets, lack of adequate airflow, a malfunctioning igniter, or lack of fuel in the fire pot.
- So first you have to open the hopper and check for pellets. If there is no pellet in the hopper or moisture is found in the pellets, replace it immediately.
- If the problem persists even after replacing the pellet, check whether the igniter is working properly. Check that there is enough fuel in the fire pot.
- If everything is not fine then check the fan motor and clean it if necessary. Check whether the fan is running at the correct speed, otherwise replace the fan.
Which one is best Pit Boss 700 or 700FB
ErR Error Codes on Pellet Grills
ErR error code gives you the easiest problem information so that you can check where exactly the problem lies. Read in detail below, then you will be able to understand what is the solution for these error codes with symbols and where exactly is the problem.
Err Code With Auger Icon; If you are using a Pit Boss pellet grill for the first time or you have completely emptied the hopper, the auger tube will be filled with pellets that must be primed. Otherwise, the igniter will time out before the pellets can ignite.
Err Code With Ignitor Icon; Whenever this type of error code appears, it means that either the igniter is not working properly or the igniter is damaged. In any case, you have to investigate what exactly is the problem.
Err Code With Fan Icon; This type of error code appears when indicating insufficient air intake to the fan, the fan is not working properly or the fan is damaged. Here you know where to check and to whom.
Err Code With Pellet Icon; When your Pit Boss pellet grill shows this error it is a clear indication that the unit is low on fuel or is using poor quality wood pellets or has a blockage in the feed system or Pit Boss auger jam.
All of these point to exactly where the problem with your pellet grill lies, the solution to which you’ll find above.
ErP Error Code Means
The simple meaning of this error code is that the unit did not shut down properly the last time it was connected to power and another reason is power outage occurred while the unit was in operation.
The Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum’s safety feature prevents automatic restarts. After the unit turns off wait for a while then press the power button and wait two minutes then press the power button. Now turn on the pellet grill and turn the temperature control dial to smoke or set the desired temperature.
noP Error Code in Pit Boss
Whenever these error codes appears on your unit, there are three main causes, two of which can be easily resolved, a poor connection at the connection port and a damaged meat probe, but a faulty control board will need to be checked by an expert.
You will find the solution for all of these somewhere above.
Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum Series troubleshooting is fairly simple once you know what the actual problem is. We have put before you almost all the Lockhart Platinum Series problems that you are facing or may happen in the future.
If we have missed any such case, you are requested to inform us. Did our article answer your Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum Series problems? We look forward to hearing from you.
If our article was insufficient to resolve your issues, don’t hesitate to contact Pit Boss customer service.
Download the Pit Boss Lockhart Platinum manual and identify your problem.