If you want to start grill smoking, you need to learn the easiest way to smoke which will give you the best results. I’ve discovered the best smoking and most forgiving models to get you started.
As a beginner in smoking meat, there are lots of articles and as of now, you have lots of questions about smoking grills. such as what is the best smoker grill combo for beginners and what type of smoker is best for your expertise? and what is the best meat for first-time smoke.
In this article clear all the doubts and questions, We review the best smoker grill combo for those just starting out. This article is divided into fuel types for easy reference Charcoal, Gas, Electric, Offset, and Pellet types.
After reading this guide you have a clear understanding of smokers, how they work, how they operate, key features, and functions, and be sure which is the smoker for beginners that suits your needs.
I want to you be a long-time smoker and start enjoying your experience from the first day. So before clicking the buy should probably read this review article about the grill smoker combo.
How Many Types of Smoker Grill Combo
If you are just starting out in the world of smoking how do you know how many types of best smoker grill combos are for beginners? It depends on your fuel source of choice and the design will always be your smoker.
To get a clear view, let me tell you that there are five different types of charcoal, propane, electric, and pellet smoker grills that will give you the best smoker grill combo. It may sound like a lot but don’t for food smokers for beginners. Understand the specifics of each type of smoker
Best Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo For Beginners
As the name suggests, a smoker uses charcoal as fuel. A charcoal smoker is a traditional smoking method and a major staple. The burning charcoal smell is capable of creating that smoky flavor you turn to.
Adding wood chips to brunt charcoal for the perfect balance of smoke and flavor. Another advantage is that the smoker can be changed to a grill at any time.
You should know that everything has some flaws. Charcoal smoker The complex process of obtaining the temperature after burning charcoal
- The price tag is very impressive
- Wood charcoal smoke gives you great subtle taste & flavor
- You must have some experience, it can be relatively difficult to learn
- Before taking it, you need to check if it is prohibited in your cities as some cities, areas, residential places and buildings apartments are prohibited in prone to fire
- The cooking box gets too hot which is very dangerous and messy and clean the ashes
1. Weber 22-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker
This is the best grill smoker combo for beginners, with a large capsule-type smoker designed by Weber. Smoky Mountain is a charcoal smoker, briquettes are the most commonly recommended fuel. Wood chip smoke gives you a classic smoke flavor.
This Weber Mountain Smoky grill is made of high-class steel and porcelain coating on the inside and outside of the smoker which makes it surprisingly corrosion resistant and built for long-lasting grilling.
Weber Mountain Smokey features layered grilling and smoking. It has two steel chrome-coated cooking grates that come with an 18.5″ cooking area large enough to handle pork shoulder and turkey in one session.
Weber Mountain charcoal smoker grill combo best for beginners has a lid-mounted temperature gauge to monitor the temperature. There are two aluminum dampers at the top and bottom to control airflow. These air vents give you precise control over the airflow and allow for the exact specific temperature you want.
It has a fueled side door that’s made of aluminum and provides easy access to add wood chips, and charcoal for a smoky flavor without touching the cooking food.
It also has a porcelain-coated steel water pan that serves to moisten the cooking area and keep the temperature stable. It has a capacity of just 3 gallons which is very little and someone like it would need to refill during a smoking session.
This grill smoker combo for beginners with a handle on the top of the lid is made of glass-reinforced nylon that protects against heat. Also a temperature gauge on the lid. A silicone thermometer probe port on the side is handy for those who prefer to use an automatic smoker’s temperature controller or a remote digital thermometer. Who wouldn’t like it?
You have to learn to use the vents to give you precise temperature control to get the most delicious smoky meats. But it is not as difficult as it seems. When you cook a dish you are mastered, you will find it very easy to learn through Youtube. The first smoker with lots of support so no worries for ease of use.
- One of the easiest smokers for beginners
- When refueled it will smoke continuously for 8-12 hours
- Great cooking capacity
- Weber has a world-class support network to assist users
- Thermometer port available
- Easy add-on fuel without touching food
- Long reach in the pit to pull down rack
- Door construction material is of low quality that can be folded and it may leak smoker (need some DIY to stop leaking)
If you’re looking for a great smoker, the Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker is your first choice. Easy to operate and simple design that makes a great buy, this excellent grill smoker for beginners is definitely on your shortlist.
2. 18-1/2 in. Classic Pit Barrel Cooker Package
The Pit Barrel Cooker is a unique black glossy design that makes the PBC easy to operate It resembles an industrial smoker. It’s a cute look and your friends will be inspired when they smoke on it and give you a great comment.
This pit barrel smoker is easy to learn. This will take away the initial nervousness when learning the hook-and-hang method for larger pieces, which the manufacturer describes as a vertical rotisserie. And delivering consistently impressive results with minimal hassle compared to other cooker options.
This Pit barrel smoker is one of the best smoker grill combo beginners. It is made in one piece of heavy-duty steel-coated porcelain that is convenient to hang the lid on with a tight-fitting lid and stainless steel tool hook. It requires minimal assembling and starts smoking.
This pit barrel smoker is a charcoal fuel grill smoker that requires wood to produce chip smoke. This is a medium-sized smoker, measuring 21 x 21 x 31.1 inches, and weighing 57 pounds. Which is capable of grilling 4 racks of pork ribs or 2 to 3 pork butts or two large-sized turkeys.
A charcoal fire basket is enough for 6 to 8 hours of non-stop cooking; To simply load, set it down, and lighten. Cooking grates allow meat and vegetables to be grilled directly on it or on available planks or stones.
This pit barrel cooker is easy to use and a great smoker for beginners, but it could be of use for an upcoming grilling contest. There’s a drawback no dial and dampers to adjust the heat, but it does have a lidded temperature gauge.
- Keeps all foods together, Effortless setup and, faster cooking process
- Solid and durable constructed material
- Easy to use, just follow the instruction manual and real learning curve, if you’re a beginner don’t worry about anything going wrong
- Detachable base and durable
- Dangerous for children and animals so stay away from overheating.
- Smoke can come out of the lid, but a little effort can stop it
If you want the simplest, least fussy way to make a great smoked meal, consider this barrel smoker grill combo for beginners. The idea of hanging meat over a fire is really tempting, and you’ll want an industrial-looking, serious kit too, so check out PBC.
Best Gas Smoker Grill Combo For Beginners
Smoking charcoal is hard for a new smoker and you need to have a little experience but gas is not the exact opposite of gas. There are different types of propane as some of the most popular smokers for beginners and with good reason.
Gas smokers are the easiest to operate and smoke meat. But it takes some of your time, your meat, and a propane grill. You’re well tempted to get the smoked meats you’ve been waiting for, without worrying about maintenance temperatures and ash.
The advantage of gas smokers is that they don’t require as much space for cooking. It needs a small corner in your backyard, this type of smoker grill smoker will give you good smoke and delicious meat in less space.
- Very Cheap
- Start with minimal learning
- Easy to use and easy to clean out
- The smoker doesn’t take up much space
- lack of wood charcoal flavor
- The apartment balconies and porches, tents, or shelters are prohibited by city and county regulations.
- Liquid stored under pressure is flammable
- Oversized meats usually need to be cut into pieces to fit in a smaller smoker.
3. Masterbuilt Propane Smoker
The Masterbuilt is one of the most advanced, top-rated propane smokers on the market and one of the newest gas grill smokers that may be best for beginners. The technology in this model is competitive and makes up for the lack of safety features.
What sets this Musterbuilt 40 Inch Grill apart is the thermostatic temperature controller, which provides precise cooking and consistency. Many propane grill smoke temperature controllers don’t have the right grip but Musterbuilts have good features that are a must for a beginner.
It has a stainless steel burner that produces 15,750 BTU output and a diffuser that distributes heat evenly. Gas feeding is a thermostatically controlled regulator that alters the flow in the burner to maintain a consistent cooking temperature of your choice.
Apart from this, it comes with a safety valve and sensor whose job is to detect whether the flame has gone out or not and automatically turns off the gas. This is a feature to boost your confidence for safety reasons which gives you peace of mind when you need to quit smoking BBQ.
It has 4 removable chrome-plated cooking grates that provide 961 square inches of cooking space. This allows for feeding large crowds. It has a temperature range of 180 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and is good for slow and low smoking. High enough to be smoked ‘hot n fast’ or to make the skin crispy at the end of cooking.
It has a 2-door gas grill smoker, a glass door on the smoking chamber so you can see what happens with your food without opening the door and another door offers access to a wooden water pan for easy refilling without losing heat. Both the doors have strong latches which can be opened easily with one hand.
Hanging tank outside of the main body with the fuel gauge so have always informed how much fuel left in the tank. Four wheels offer great portability, and 2 wheels have locked.
- Patented thermostatic control ensures a constant temperature
- A huge cooking area for the crowd
- The safety sensor and shut-off valve give peace of mind
- Two separate doors, the First glass door for the smoking area and the second for fuel, water pan, and ash clean
- Warranty little short
- It would have been great to have crispy skin and brown flesh if it could hold 30 -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
In conclusion, this is the smoker grill combo for beginners. It has every feature a beginner would need and an expert would certainly want more grilling results with the easy-to-use side-mounted collection tray for grease, allowing for easy cleanup.
4. Smoke Hollow PS40B Propane Smoker
Seeing this I looked like a robot from a classic B-grade movie, do you feel the same way? It provides a reliable and professional smoker look with a solid pointed angle. It looks like there are no frills and is well made which will surely wow your guests. Definitely doesn’t look or feel strong and cheap or weak which is a good thing.
Its door opening reveals four chrome-plated cooking grids that allow you to accommodate a variety of small or large foods and fits on top of the sausage handler room, allowing for sausage making and invitations.
This is another grill smoker combo for beginners that sounds fine, but it’s not as high quality as other models in its class, although it is affordable in comparison to them.
Smoke Hollow PS40B Smoker fuels source propane and are made by Masterbuilt. It has a substantial cooking area of 860 square inches, enough for 4 butts at a time. It has ignition starting features which are stainless steel burners with 15,400 BTU output.
This gas grill door integrates a temperature gauge that allows the temperature to be monitored without opening the door. Which can throw the unit away from the ideal temperature for minutes on end.
It has a water pan which saves you from the ongoing refill. Its water is enough to smoke for about 3 hours. In fact, it is easy to learn and master it, there is not much in it.
- Excellent cooking area
- Adjustable cooking grates for larger cuts of meat
- Adjustable Air damper for moisture and smoke control
- Wooden box and water pan work continuously for 3 hours
- Fast and steady cooking for great taste
- There is no gasket in the door that will cause a smoke leak, but after little effort, everything will be fine
- The temperature gauge is not reliable
If you’re cooking for a large crowd, or want to open a small restaurant or smoke meat quickly at a large party and you really believe that a gas grill is as good as a charcoal grill, then this one is made for you to grill for you.
Best Electric Smoker Grill Combo For Beginners
If you are a beginner and looking for a grill smoker then the electric smoker is the crown. Though the electric smoker is relativistically new, it comes with the set and forgets features. For those who are just starting out in the world of smoking and who do not have much time to monitor the smoking process.
The advantage of an electric smoker is that while you can forget to worry about the temperature of the smoker, you can smoke at a fixed temperature.
It’s also easy to learn and maintain that doesn’t need more required, but a simple wipe cleans and protects against bacteria that can confirm the taste of your meat and your smoker like a propane smoker. You cannot work without electricity.
- Cheaper smokers with excellent performance
- Need minimal setup for uses
- Good choice for those where gas and charcoal are restricted
- The versatile smoker can barbecue, smoke, roast, braise, bake, and grill
- Smoke ring challenge
- Runs on electricity so no tailgating
5. Char-Broil Deluxe Black Digital Electric Smoker
Honestly, this is the best smoker grill combo for beginners who are looking for an electric grill with minimal experience to get the best and most consistent results.
The Char-Broil Deluxe Digital Electric Smoker utilizes attractive-looking and high-quality stainless steel construction materials for this, with many of the features that make the smoking process so much easier and offer as much hands-free use as possible.
This Char-Broil Digital Electric smoker is an easy-to-use grill with many features to make smoking a breeze. From setting it up to using and final cleaning. But gives you a great taste and simplicity to your BBQ. This might be the best electric smoker grill combo for beginners
It has 4 adjustable chrome-plated cooking grates, provides 725 square inches of cooking surface with 59 pounds, and measures 32.5H x 18.1W x 16.5D inches. If this cooking space isn’t enough for you, a larger model includes all the same features with a cooking surface area of 1,000 square inches.
Char-Broil smoker grill combo has a removable digital controller on the top with push buttons controlling temperature and inclines time and clear and readable LED displays.
The Char-Broil Digital Smoker integrated thermometer meat probe to monitor meat internal temperature that lets you know when your food is done. Just “set and forget” features.
This excellent smoker comes with a remote control that allows you to check the temperature of the meat and pit, turn it on & off, and set up the timer. This means you can sit and control your grill and you won’t have to spend all of your time hanging out with family and guests.
The digital smoker has a glass door for your convenience to see what is happening to your food without opening the door. Sturdy wheels provide excellent portability, a removable water pan, a large wood chip box that provides up to 8 hours of continuous smoke, and a drip pan for easy cleaning.
- Easy to use, a digital controller makes cooking easy.
- An adjustable cooking area that can accommodate large cuts of meat
- Remote control and monitoring means you can spend time with guests
- Integrated meat thermometer
- Chip loader size larger than other smokers
- Some complaint about the remote area, if you are inside the room and trying to control the smoke inside and control through signal walls is not easy
- It’s not waterproof
If you are looking for the best electric smoker that provides nice smoky results without any frills and not much to learn. There are a few things to keep in mind when starting your grilling and the best part is that it is perfect for beginners, overall it is a great kit.
6. Masterbuilt MB20070210 Analog Electric Smoker
It is not a safe grill because it does not have a reliable locking system. This is not for those who are entering the world of smoking, as there is no temperature controller and no air damper which gives you ease to control smoke and heat but better if you are an experienced pitmaster.
To be honest, the prominently displayed logo is fine. But a big name doesn’t always require you to be safe, it can be faulted by some who are brand new to the world of smoking. Leaving your old mistakes behind, Masterbuilt DES looks like a safe place to stash your meat, poultry, and fish.
The Masterbuilt MB20070210 Electric Smoker Grill is one of the industry standards for safe sound and is probably one of the easiest smokers to use on this list. Despite being powered by electricity, you cannot use it indoors or in a garage because it emits carbon monoxide from the smoker.
The Masterbuilt MB20070210 weighs 50 lbs which are made of high-quality materials. It has 3-chrome-plated cooking grates with a cooking area of 530 square inches and holds up to 60 pounds of food.
It has an analog temperature controller and is easy to push buttons and easy to operate for experienced smokers alike. Patented wood chips are added through a loader which is easily removed from the outside without disturbing the food but you have to add wood chips to it every hour.
Double insulated frame and the door seal with rubber gasket for energy-efficient that keeps food within estimated cooking time and prevent the smoke flavor from flying into the air. A removable drip pan also simplifies the cleaning process.
- Affordable price
- Amazingly easy to use and add chips in the removable smokebox
- 100% double insulated wall that prevents overheating
- Temperature gauges have but hard control the temperature
- Small wood chip box
It is good for those who want to smoke without any frills and it is not that expensive either. Start or manage without fire. This is the best electric smoker for which little knowledge of temperature as well as beginners.
Best Pellet Smoker Grill Combo For Beginners
The pellet smoker is a combination of electric and propane smokers and it is suitable for new learners. It uses wood pellets as a primary fuel source that provides an in-depth flavor to smoked meat. Pellet grill smoker has slowly and steadily gained popularity in recent years.
The outstanding advantage of a pellet smoker is that it preheats everything in record time like an electric smoker and has excellent temperature control thanks to the digital controller it comes with.
Pellet Smoker delivers the classic smoky flavor with the depth of flavor present in a charcoal smoker but you can get great flavor with less effort. You can get a temperature controller, automatic feeder system, WiFi-enabled, high-quality content. A combination of these features costs a bit.
- Happy to say that it is easy to use and can barbecue, smoke, roast, braise, bake, and grill.
- They come with a wide temperature range, ranging from about 180 °F to 500 °F.
- Less effort yields excellent results and delicious smoky meat
- Comes with great temperature control and set and forget features
- These tend to be a bit expensive as some mechanical and electrical parts can add up to a considerable cost.
- It can only run on electricity so forget picnicking with it
7. Traeger Pellet Grills TFB30KLF Tailgater 20 Grill
When it comes to pellet grill smokers, the name Traeger should be included and the Traeger tailgater 20 Grill is always ready to compete. In this you can grill, smoke, bake, braise, roast and More.
The Traeger Tailgater 20 Pro grill looks like a smoker. It is made of high-quality steel with a designed horizontal barrel. A roll-top style with a steel bucket for grease collection and a large rectangle pellet hopper attached to an 8-pound capacity on the other side of the grill.
The Traeger Tailgater 20 measuring 37H x 18D x 36W inches provides a total of 300 square inches of cooking surface and weighs 68 pounds which is impressive.
It retains heavy-duty steel and easy-fold legs with a portable-sized single skin and two terrain plastic wheels. Looks good but doesn’t have build quality.
With just the press of a button, the process of pulling pellets from the hopper to the firebox begins. As the shrapnel comes into contact with the hot rod in the firebox, the shrapnel burns. Fire requires oxygen which is generated by an induction fan near the pellet hopper.
This is one of the best smoker grill combos for beginners with a digital arc controller for precise, consistent temperature and a warm mode that ensures your food is ready whenever you want with little effort.
With a maximum temperature of 450 degrees it is easy to use and this even 5-degree temperature setting increase will allow it to generate the heat and smoke needed for cooking within 5 minutes.
This portable pellet grill has a meat probe that gives an accurate internal temperature of the meat, no need to buy an extra thermometer or probe, and works well and should last a few seasons.
This Traeger tailgater 20 comes with a 10-minute cool-down system that ensures that all ignited shrapnel burns completely and without the risk of flare-ups. Everything is managed by an ARC Digital Controller that makes smokers “Set and Forget”.
It is very easy to learn because the digital temperature controller allows you to set your temperature and wait until the food is ready. so this is my recommendation.
- Excellent for apartment
- 6-in-1 cooking versatility
- Great portability bring anywhere
- Easy to use
- The material could be thicker
- Plastic wheels need more strength
This is the best smoker grill but its small size makes it good on balconies, townhouses, and living in home owner’s association will enjoy grilling without an open flame. It’s good for smoking small-sized crowds. Its digital controller and probe are both excellent for beginners in the field of smoking.
8. Green Mountain Davy Crockett Sense Mate Electric Smoker
This is also the best smoker grill combo for beginners. The Green Mountain Davy Crockett shiny stainless steel appearance is light but can be measured with confidence right off the bat. The price is very good as well as the build quality has been well taken care of, the stainless steel lid is a nice touch.
The grill legs need to be strong as the pellet hopper on the side of the smoke chamber to provide balance and grip but it is made of stainless steel to ensure the strength you need.
It has a grease tray that tilts to the right with a spout on the outside that directs the flow and collects the grease into the steel bucket that forms the grilling facet. It is easy to manage and clean. There are also brackets for holding utensils and plates on top of the bucket hook.
Who doesn’t want their grill to cook with minimal effort? Green Mountain Davy Crockett has a full facility to enjoy remote monitoring that is connected to WiFi, just download the app and connect to your smartphone.
With this remote control, you can turn on and off the grill, set the smoke temperature and cooking time, monitor the internal temperature of the meat with the meat probe, make a cooking alert, can set up a profile, and contact customer support.
When you see it for the first time, it may look gimmicky. But in fact, its function is very efficient and gives a good feeling. Fully capable of supervising and modifying the kitchen, you can sit comfortably anywhere. Safe to travel with the only chimney and attached handle that comes out of the box.
It’s really economical and packs and grills. It has foldable legs that are used as carrying handles and it uses your car’s outlet or even battery power. So this is another smoker grill combo ideal for the tailgate.
Green Mountain has a simple and easy-to-use digital temperature controller, you can raise the temperature by 5 degrees, and a thermal sensor that continuously monitors the grill temperature.
- Durable stainless steel built material
- Minimal setting up
- variety of electrical ports
- Quick preheat & Portable
- Easy cleaning
- This rainy season will have to be a little careful because of the electric port.
However, if you are looking for portable, simple, and compactness then Davy Crockett is the best grill smoker option for you. This is the best smoker grill combo for beginners, it is in the low-budget category with great features.
Tips: How to Season Cast Iron BBQ Grills and Burners
Outdoor grilling is one of the best ways to spend time with family in this busy lifestyle. To get the most out of your cast iron BBQ grill and burner, take care of them. Following a few tips will pay off with years of low maintenance, practically non-stick surfaces, and barbecue heaven.
First Method – Season Your Cast Iron BBQ Grill
- Preheat your regular kitchen oven to 275 to 350ºF (135 to 175ºC)
- Clean it to remove all residue from your grill rack and dry it, use normal dishwasher shop wash. If your grill is older make sure to remove all residue and crusty bits. Begin cleaning the rack with a metal scraper and finish with a wire brush.
- Coat your grill rack with vegetable oil, or melted lard, and cover the grill rack completely with aluminum foil.
- Place the grill in the oven, place a foil-covered cookie sheet under the bottom rack to prevent any dripping of oil or shortening, and let it bake for at least 30 minutes as the oil has time to season the cast iron.
- Remove to grill rack and let it cool and repeat this process at least two more times until dark is gone. Each iteration deepens the seasoning, helping and protecting the metal from which it develops a nearly non-stick surface.
- Now reinstall the grill rack on your barbecue and you’re ready for sweet grilling sensations
Second Method – Maintaining Seasonings Throughout
- First of all, you have to keep in mind that after grilling during the day, let the grill cool down naturally. Never try to cool with cold water because cold water can break your grill rack.
- Take the grill rack out and wash it with soap and water, the excess rubbing and soap will remove the seasoning. You just focus on cleaning the oils so they don’t spoil. Avoid soaking or drying with paper towels or heating the oven. By doing this it will dry completely.
- After you have cleaned it re-coat your rack with a little melted lard or shortening
Third Method – Seasoning Older Grill
- If you have an old grill, it may have rusted or got very dirty or if the food is sticking like super glue, it’s time to give it a good cleaning. Begin by scrubbing it thoroughly with soapy water and a stiff-bristled brush.
- You’ll want to make sure you remove all the soap residue and make sure you’ve cleaned off all the crusty bits. If the grill still isn’t clean then one more step needs to be repeated
- Put it in the oven for a while until it dries like last year’s fruit cake
- Follow the steps outlined in the preliminary seasonings section, and soon you’ll be enjoying your grilling again.
FAQ: Best Grill Smoker Combo for Beginners
Here are some common questions asked by the grill smoker lover.
What type of smoker is best for beginners?
If you are a complete beginner you can choose electric, gas, or pellet. They are the best type of grill for beginners. Grilling in these is much easier than charcoal grills and has fewer learning skills.
Can you buy a grill and smoker combo?
Yes! The smoker grill combo is an excellent choice for you, it saves space and saves more money. It has all the features and comes with the versatility of 8-1 cooking, you can have the classic charcoal-flavored flavor.
Is Megamaster a Good Grill?
Camp Chef Pellet Grill Problems – How to Solve Issues?
Megamaster 2 Burner Grill Review [Perfect Grill]